- Most people do not carry their ‘next of kin’ details with them
- In case of an emergency how do people know who to call?
- Rescue workers, good Samaritans, medical staff often spend a long time to get in contact with ‘next of kin’ when victims are taken to a hospital in an emergency.
- Similarly, relatives of victims often spend a long time tracking their loved ones and this causes a lot of anxiety, distress, panic and chaos.
- It is therefore important that EVERYONE carries emergency contact details with them at all time. With 584 million mobile phone users in India, the mobile phones are the best place to store these details.
- By using a standard, easy to remember format of entry ie ICE, we can ensure that during an emergency, useful and accurate emergency can be easily accessed.
- Following the London bombings in 2005, the emergency staff, media and government in the UK launched the a similar public awareness ICE campaign which subsequently successfully spread to the USA as well.
- Now MumbaiPrepared along with the media, government and corporate India are launching a similar campaign all across India.